2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp rai/ mustard seeds
2 medium chopped onions
1 inch cube ginger
6 garlic cloves
2 small tomatoes
2 Serrano green peppers
green onions (as desired, optional)
red bell pepper (optional)
4 tsp salt
4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp curry powder
1 cup besan flour
1 cup plain yogurt
14 cups of water
1 cup peas
1 small chopped red potato
pakora (optional but add more water if used)
1 cup chopped broccoli stalk (optional).
2 tbsp coriander (or 2 tsp dry Methi)
Cooked brown rice/ quinoa
1. In a large pot, toast cumin seeds on medium heat for one minute. Then add olive oil, mustard seeds, and onions. Sauté onions until browned.
2. Combine ginger, garlic, red pepper, Serrano peppers, tomatoes, green onion in food processor; then add to the main pot.
3. Add salt, turmeric, red chili powder, curry powder to the main pot.
4. In a separate bowl, add besan flour and just enough water to form a paste. Mix to reduce knots. Then add yogurt and a bit more water and whisk to eliminate any remaining knots. Add this mixture to the main pot and mix.
5. Add 14 cups of water, peas, red potato, broccoli stalk to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Next, decrease the heat to medium-low to simmer for 30 minutes until mixture thickens.
6. Turn off heat, add pakoras and top kadhi with finely chopped coriander. Serve with brown rice and topped with plain yogurt.